1923, The Hollywood sign officially unveiled
On This day during on July 13, the Hollywood Sign is officially unveiled in the hills above Hollywood, Los Angeles. It originally read “Hollywoodland”.
However, Its purpose was to advertise the name of new housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Los Angeles. Thomas Fisk Goff, the sign company owner, designed the sign. Each letter was 9.1 m (30 ft) wide, 15.2 m (50 ft ) high. The whole “HOLLYWOODLAND” sign studded with around 4,000 light bulbs.
The sign flashed in section: “HOLLY,” “WOOD,” and “LAND” lit up one by one, and then as a whole. Below the Hollywoodland sign was a searchlight to attract more awareness.
In 1940, the then Hollywoodland sign was in disrepair. However, the last four last letters “LAND” is dropp after renovation during in 1949.
It rebuilt once again in 1978 as the world’s largest free-standing sign of its kind. Meanwhile, nine donors gave US$27,778 each to sponsor replacement letters, made of steel supported by steel columns on a concrete foundation. After the rebuilt the new letters were 45 ft (13.7 m) tall and ranged from 31 to 39 ft (9.4 to 11.9 m) wide.
The sign unveiled again on November 11, 1978, in the 75th anniversary of Hollywood’s incorporation as a city.
After the rise of American cinema in Los Angeles during the Golden Age of Hollywood, the sign became an internationally recognized symbol and was left there.
Meanwhile, the following nine donors gave $27,778 each (which total $250,000) to restore the sign during 1978.
H: The publisher of the Hollywood Independent Newspaper, Terrence Donnelly.
O: Singer, Alice Cooper donates to the memory of comedian Groucho Marx.
L: The founder of the Kelley Blue Book, Les Kelley.
L: Actor Gene Autry.
Y: The founder of Playboy, Hugh Hefner.
W: Singer, Andy Williams.
O: The Italian movie producer and co-founder of Panaria Film, Giovanni Mazza.
O: Warner Bros. Records.
D: Businessman, Dennis Lidtke, donates to the name of Matthew Williams.